Pediatric dentists are not just for small children. The benefits of a dentist that specializes in children’s teeth can be numerous. Many changes occur in a child’s mouth from infancy through young adulthood and it is important to ensure the most appropriate dental care throughout the critical stages of a child’s oral development. Often, pediatric dentists are seen as exclusive to babies and young children, but teenagers too can benefit from continuing to see a pediatric dentist. Here are some reasons for teenagers to continue to visit a pediatric dentist for their dental care.
- Children’s teeth, including teenager’s, change rapidly–especially as kids lose primary teeth and their permanent teeth develop. A pediatric dentist is trained to assess and treat children’s teeth from infancy to young adulthood.
- Pediatric dentists can be some of the most understanding and comprehensive doctors. A pediatric dentist undergoes two to three additional years of training after dental school and dedicates their entire practice to treating children. Pediatric dentists also specialize in providing care to children and teens with special oral health needs.
- For children and adolescents with special oral care needs, opting for a pediatric dentist is the most effective way to ensure that your child gets the specialized care they need from an expert in child and adolescent dental care.
- The benefits of having your child, or teen, continue to see a pediatric dentist is positive long term dental health. Giving kids the quality treatment and attention they need from a young age to maintain good oral health as they get older is very important.
- Preventing cavities and other dental problems, especially in teenagers, is one of the primary reasons to maintain regular bi-annual visits to the dentist. A good pediatric dentist will be able to provide the highest quality care through young adulthood.